Saint John's - Saint Luke's Evangelical Church
Location Name: Saint John’s - Saint Luke’s Evangelical Church (Detroit, Michigan)
Location Type: Church (United Church of Christ)
Year Completed: 1874
Architect(s): Julian Hess
Saint John’s - Saint Luke’s Evangelical Church was founded in 1833 by Rev. Fredrich Schmidt, a missionary from Switzerland. The current building is a brick structure built in the High Victorian Gothic style and was completed in 1874 by architect Julian Hess. Many changes have been made to the church since its original construction, most notably the removal of its steeple and, in 1915 the exterior was covered in Formstone (a cast concrete made to resemble limestone). Today the interior retains much of its original beauty with a wrap-around upper level and a Votteler organ.
Saint John’s - Saint Luke’s Evangelical Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.Sources