Saint Hedwig Catholic Church
Location Name: Saint Hedwig Catholic Church (Detroit, Michigan)
Location Type: Church (Catholic)
Year Completed: 1916
Architect(s): Harry J. Rill
The current Saint Hedwig Catholic Church was built to replace an earlier structure located on the same grounds. Saint Hedwig parish was established in 1903 to serve Detroit’s fast growing Polish community. A temporary church was built to relieve demand on nearby Saint Francis D’Assisi Catholic Church, holding its first services in December 1904. Over the next decade, plans to build the permanent structure seen today were in various stages of completion.
In 1911, architect Harry J. Rill designed the plans for the new church and the “Lower Church” portion was ready for its first services on 12 November 1911. In 1915, once all debts from the construction of the parish school, rectory and convent were paid, work began on completing the building. On Thanksgiving Day, 30 November 1916, the church held its first services.
Saint Hedwig was built to serve the growing Polish community, but as the years progressed the neighborhood changed around it. Today, Saint Hedwig’s community has a large number of Mexican immigrants, and the church holds services in English and Spanish to accommodate their Spanish-speaking members.Sources