Detroit Harbor Terminals Building
Location Name: Detroit Harbor Terminals Building (Detroit, Michigan)
Location Type: Abandoned Site (Warehouse)
Year Completed: 1925
The Detroit Harbor Terminals building is an abandoned warehouse along the Detroit riverfront. Built in 1925, the warehouse was built to store goods in transport brought to the facility by ships and trains. In its later years, the building was also the site of the Detroit dock for the ferries that carried passengers to the Boblo Island Amusement Park just down the Detroit River in Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada. Ferry service ceased in the early 1990s and Boblo Island closed down leaving the Detroit Harbor Terminals Building with one less tenant.
Mostly due to tariffs placed on foreign-sourced steel products, the Detroit Marine Terminal (who owned the warehouse) was forced to shut down in 2004. Vacant ever since, the property once owned by the Detroit Marine Terminal re-opened as the Port of Detroit in 2005. Now run by Nicholson Terminal and Dock Company from Ecorse, Michigan, the Port of Detroit is still in operation. Despite this good news, the ten-story warehouse with the famous Boblo Island advertisement painted on the side remains empty. No real plans have been made public as to the future of the old Detroit Harbor Terminals Building, but the Port of Detroit’s success seems promising that the area will be redeveloped one day. Whether the warehouse will be put back into use or demolished to make way for an expanded Port of Detroit has not yet been determined.Sources