Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament
Location Name: Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament (Detroit, Michigan)
Location Type: Church (Catholic)
Year Completed: 1930, 1951 Addition
Architect(s): Henry A. Walsh, George Diehl
The Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament is the cathedral church for the Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit. Most Blessed Sacrament parish began on the outer limits of Detroit in 1905. Construction of the church began in 1913, with Henry A. Walsh as the architect. The exterior of the church was complete (without the towers on the Woodward facade) in 1915, but work on the interior lagged due to lack of funds. Finally on Thanksgiving Day 1930, the interior was dedicated and services began. With the church in operation, the completion of the exterior towers was put on the backburner; mostly due to the effects of the Great Depression and later World War II.
On 22 May 1937, the Diocese of Detroit was elevated to an Archdiocese. Most Blessed Sacrament was chosen to replace Saints Peter and Paul Cathedral (now Saint Patrick's Catholic Church) as the cathedral church. In 1940 Henry A. Walsh passed away and the search was on for another architect to complete his plans for the facade towers. Architect George Diehl was chosen to finish the exterior of the church. After almost 40 years of construction, the final work was finished and consecrated on 17 November 1951. Perhaps the most notable event in the Cathedral's history was the 1987 visit of Pope John Paul II. Several momentos from the Pope's visit are on display at the Cathedral today.
The Cathedral is built in the Neo-Gothic style and made of Ohio sandstone with Indiana limestone accents. The stained glass inside the church was designed by Willet Studios of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Sculptor Corrado Parducci did much of the statuary that adorns the sanctuary.Sources