Saint Thomas Lutheran Church
Location Name: Saint Thomas Lutheran Church (Detroit, Michigan)
Location Type: Abandoned Site (Church)
Year Completed: 1908
Unfortunately we are unable to locate much information for Saint Thomas Lutheran Church. The structure was completed in September 1908 on Detroit’s East Side. In 1945, the church merged with nearby Saint Peter Lutheran parish to form the new Saint Thomas-Saint Peter Lutheran Church. In 1956, another parish, Bethel also merged into the combined parish. As parishioners continued to move from the inner city towards the suburbs, the church decided to relocate to the Macomb County community of East Detroit (now Eastpointe). In the Fall of 1959 a new building was dedicated, but the parish continued to conduct services in the old building until 1968.
After the move to Eastpointe, the parish became Saint Thomas Lutheran Church once again and the old building was sold off. Today, the old church sits abandoned like much of the surrounding neighborhood. It is unclear when the building was last used, and the building has suffered much damage. Its future is uncertain, but there appears to be little use for a church in such questionable condition.Sources