University of Michigan Museum of Art
Location Name: University of Michigan Museum of Art (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
Location Type: Museum (Art)
Year Completed: 1910
Architect(s): John Donaldson and Henry J. Meier (Original Building), Brad Cloepfil (Addition)
The University of Michigan Museum of Art has its beginning in the collection of Professor Henry Simmons Frieze. Frieze started an art collection for the University of Michigan back in the mid-1850s. By 1856, the collection was on display to students and the general public for free. In 1910 the art collection found its permanent home in the Alumni Memorial Hall that opened on campus that year. Designed by architects John Donaldson and Henry J. Meier as a war memorial for the University’s fallen alumni from the Civil War, Alumni Memorial Hall was a mixed-use building until 1966 when the art museum became the sole occupant of the building.
Recently, the Maxine and Stuart Frankel and the Frankel Family Wing was added to the original structure. Designed by Architect Brad Cloepfil of Allied Works Architecture, this addition more than doubled the museum’s size; enlarging the museum’s floor space to 94,000 square feet. With a collection of over 18,000 artworks, the University of Michigan Museum of Art continues to hold its place among the largest university art museums in the nation.Sources